Pages

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Cake with Life Paper Scrapbook

I loved this month's sketch at Life Paper Scrapbook when I first saw it.  But I tried to put a layout together several times and just couldn't get the pieces to work.  I finally figured out that it was the proportions that were getting me every time.  And I liked the sketch enough to keep trying.  And then tonight I got home from work and knew just what I wanted to do. 

I wanted to play with a monochromatic look and use a picture of a lemon strawberry cake I made for my son.  I wanted to stick mostly with shades of yellow and white ( and maybe a little pink.) 

Tonight the layout came together in about an hour - it doesn't follow the sketch exactly, but it clearly was inspired by the sketch. and it was the perfect chance to use that amazing pink and yellow washi from Outer Banks.  What do you think?


I used just one photo on my layout with lots of laying to emphasize it.  And this slide frame from The Pier with the pink wash was the perfect finishing touch.


 That Dear Lizzy chipboard tag covers up some primary colored candles that just didn't go with my layout. 

Because the layout used such a uniform color palette, I had to use other design elements to add interest.  One of those was repeating elements.  I used slide frames, sequins and stars to tie the layout together.  You can see one star peeking out behind the photo block and more scattered at the top and bottom of the layout.


 Texture was also an important element.  I love the stars from the Planetarium kit and the sequins and ink splatters also had visual interest.  And the Thickers I used to add a title are some of my favorites because they have so much texture.


Try the sketch - it was fun and challenging.  And have a fantastic Friday.

7 comments:

  1. I really like your page and you have done a great job with the sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome work with that washi!! what a sweet layout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE how you used that washi, you rocked it! Thanks so much for sharing this layout with us chick, it's beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Julie! I LOVE the trail of sequins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colors and how you used the frames.
    Thanks for playing along with our sketch at LPS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sprinkles are the perfect touch to a layout about cake!!!

    ReplyDelete