Pages

Monday, October 5, 2015

World Card Making Day

Saturday was World Card Making Day.  It was also my daughter's homecoming dance.  As a result, I didn't have much time to play.  But I did crank out cards for the six challenges at Studio Calico.  They were all super quick and easy.....

Challenge 1: Use a project life card


I had been hoarding that stitched card forever and it was perfect for this challenge.

Challenge 2:  A fall card


It turns out that I have almost nothing fall like in my stash so this was a tough one.  That wood veneer piece from the last Pinkfresh Studio kit saved me.  And I did like the gold and copper against the dark blue background.

Challenge 3:  Use an alph stamp or alpha stickers 


This card was all about the colors.  Sometimes a simple design with great colors can have a big impact.

Challenge 4:  Use a stamp or die you haven't used before.


I rarely use my stamps and have gotten rid of tons (literally maybe) over the summer.  But this one I loved.  I went way out of my comfort zone with layered stamping, stamping on wood and even using watercolors for the sky.  It might just be my favorite card in the bunch.

Challenge 5 - Use at least two die-cuts


I used the scribble circle die from pinkfresh studios and a feather die from studio calico for this quick and easy card.  I like that it is so versatile and could be used in a number of situations.

Challenge 6:  a Christmas card that could be mailed easily and that is reproducable.


My original plan was to use gold heat embossing on the sentiment.  But after several tries, I couldn't get a result that left the word "twinkle" clear.  I did use an old trick here and chalk the edges of each layer.  It helps to give the illusion of dimension when you don't want to add thickness.


 Even though I didn't have much time to play, 6 cards was enough to remind me of all the reasons I enjoy card-making (even though I really consider myself a traditional scrapbooker.  Here are my top five reasons:

  1.  It's a great way to try new techniques - things are way less intimidating on a small scale project and I'm generally way less worried about "ruining" something.  I mean I actually used my watercolors on a project.........
  2. I use products that otherwise wouldn't ever get used - like that kite.  It was super cute but I wasn't sure I was ever going to use it.
  3.  I have the hardest time throwing away scraps - but those small pieces of paper have a tendency to get out of control.  Cards are the perfect way to use them.
  4. Sending a homemade card is a great way to share my love of papercrafting with all those people in my life who just don't get it.  (We all have those people right?)
  5. I can make a really pretty card with lots of layers very quickly (as compared to making a layout).  This is a great way to squeeze in some scrapping time in a really busy week.
  6. I actually use my stamps.
So did you participate in world card making day?  What did you make?

3 comments:

  1. I love your watercolors. So pretty. Your cards are lovely, and fit the challenges perfectly. I worked on my Week In The Life album. I make a card only sporadically, and only for a specific person or occasion. I don't know how to post things for challenges, I'm very not tech savvy. But you really made some great cards. Michelle t

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cards are so pretty! I think it's so awesome that you were able to create six cards in such a short amount of time-super impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, all great cards, Julie, and for not having a lot of time I can't believe you made 6!

    ReplyDelete