Pages

Friday, October 2, 2015

Inspired by the Paper

I am seriously addicted to patterned paper.  I buy it, I hoard it and I'm inspired by it. I often start with a piece of beautiful patterned paper as the base for a color scheme when I start a layout.  And when I open a kit, the paper is the first thing I look at.

This sheet of paper from the October Afternoon Summertime collection jumped out at me when I unpacked my September Citrus Twist kits. 



I loved the colors and bold pattern.  But I thought it was going to be super hard to use. 

When I looked more closely I really focused on the lines in the pattern.  Taking a leap of faith, I cut a large triangular piece using those lines and placed it along one side of my base paper.  I cut a smaller piece to place on the opposite side.   And then decided to place my photo right in the center.


I added some scraps of black paper to help add definition and built up my photo block with coordinating papers.  I added some die cuts and a title with great vellum alphas from the last ever Pinkfresh Studio embellishment kit and my layout was done - I thought.

But I had never cut that grey polka dot branding strip off the bottom of the base paper.  I really liked the way it looked so I ended up trimming the other end of the paper so I could keep those polka dots.  (Another make it work moment :) )

Then I was done...... and ready to pick some papers for my next project (it is the best part of scrapping)

Thanks for stopping by.

4 comments:

  1. I can relate. Km often inspired by paper too. And like you I've gotten very good at cutting it up. My thinking is that there will be more chances to (love it) I mean use it. Love the layering under the photo, and the embellishments are awesome, too. Michelle t

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, you are GOOD!!! I love bold patterns, but they always stump me. This is really fantastic Julie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this page Julie! I need to keep your idea of cutting it up in mind when I look at bold graphics, which I love but don't always know how to use them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen anything OA in a long time. Thank you for reminding me to check them out again. Love how you used the paper!

    ReplyDelete