Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

A Dark Background

The Hawks were knocked out of the state soccer tournament last night with a loss (3-2) to Bexley.  Since Nicholas is a senior, it was the end of his high school soccer career.  I don't think he sees it this way yet, but it was a great way to go.

Boys on both teams have played on club teams together and have close personal relationships.  They greeted each other with tremendous affection as they took the field and played a tough game throughout.  Boys on both teams gave the game everything they had.  After the game, Nicholas and a friend broke down in the middle of the field as the teams were shaking hands.  The Bexley team came over to them offering consolation and congratulations - hugs and handshakes all around.  This was a striking difference to a game last week where the opposing coach told his team to refuse the post-game handshakes.

This morning I thought I'd share a soccer layout I completed recently for Nicholas's freshman album in memory of four great years.


The dark background of the striped Authentique paper really made the pictures pop and required little embellishments.  The white patterned paper is old Basic Grey Basics that was buried in my stash.  I added some washi, cardstock stars, a couple of sport themed embellishments from a pack I found on clearance at Hobby Lobby and some transparent elements from the Basic Grey Shine On products from JoAnns.  The end result is a bright, fun layout in another color scheme outside my comfort zone - black, red and turquoise.

Here are a couple of key design elements.

Unusual (for me) title placement - I'm a straight lines kind of girl

simple embellishment clusters

At my house, everyone's a little bit sad this morning as we contemplate life without soccer.  But I'm proud of the effort and sportsmanship I saw last night too.  The experience reflected everything good about high school sports.  Today we start focusing on the future. (And I'm thinking about all those soccer layouts I need to do for the senior album.)

I hope you have a great Wednesday!




No comments:

Post a Comment