Pages

Friday, August 17, 2012

Scraps on Trend

Over the past few months, I've admired lots of layouts that used patterned papers to create a sunburst pattern.  I loved the look, but was really intimidated by it.  My Scrapbook Nook had using a sunburst pattern as one of their summer challenges.  I decided I was going to try it, but kept putting it off.  It just seemed overwhelming.  The Nook crop ended Sunday, and I still hadn't finished a layout with a sunburst pattern.

But I finally pushed myself to try it on a layout about my son's relationship with his cousin Ben.  Ben asked Nicholas to be his confirmation sponsor, and I wanted to use the occasion to document the fact that they were growing closer as Ben got ready for high school. (He's going to the same school as Nicholas.) I thought the way the papers converged  went well with the message in my journaling.


To my surprise, it was a very simple look to get -- and it was a great way to use up scraps to get a look that uses one of the current trends in layouts.  If you're like me, you are consistently drawn to similar color palettes, so it isn't hard to find scraps that coordinate. And because the papers converged under the pictures, the cutting didn't have to be precise.


I used some coordinating thickers to do a non-traditional title by putting each of their names and the word "friends" in the red strips of paper.  And the mix of papers adds lots of interest so its not necessary to do much embellishing.  I added a few SC wood veneer stars and was done, except that I wanted a two page layout for Nicholas's album.  Here's what I did with the second page.


One of my favorite things about the layout is that it works as a one page layout or a two page layout.

What technique or look scares you?  Give it a try - after all, its only paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment