Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Mixing Patterns

I probably said it before, but I love layout challenges.  They provide great prompts and inspiration and push me to try new things.  Even when I don't officially complete the challenge, the ideas are in the back of my head.

In the past week I've seen challenges about mixing patterns at My Scraps and More, 2Peas and Studio Calico.  Many of the sketches have also been designs that encourage mixing patterns.  So I decided to see how many patterned papers I could use on a single layout.  It was 9.


Here are some tips:

1.  Pick a subtly patterned background paper (Echo Park, For the Record 2) that supports the design.  Those little doily patterns provided the perfect frame for the circles of patterned paper.

2.  Dig out those 6x6 papers. (I tend to accumulate them and don't remember to use them.)  The smaller scale of the prints seemed to work bigger than 12x12 papers.

3.  Stick to a 2-3 collection s and manufacturers - these are from Basic Grey's Lucille and a Websters Pages pack I got in a warehouse box.

4. Pick one more subtle pattern to frame your photo.

5.  Go for a splashy title and limit the embellishments.  (I actually used sparkly thickers and no embellishments on this layout.)

So use up those patterned papers, make room for new goodies from CHA and create a fun layout.  Have a great Thursday.

4. 

2 comments:

  1. I love mixing patterns, I go too crazy sometimes, but its such fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a lovely layout, I wouldn't have guessed there was such a mix on there! I like the tip to choose a subtle photo mat. x

    ReplyDelete