Pages

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Trends

The talk this week has been all about the trends in te product lines showcased at CHA.  But there are trends in design too.  This week, I saw three different sketch challenges that focused on horizontal strips.  Two Peas put up a sketch challenge based on a layout by Lisa Andrews, Boys Rule put up a sketch using horizontal strips and Studio Calico has a sketch challenge based on a single horizontal sketch based on a layout by Laura Kurz.  So right now, horizontal strips across a layout seem to be a design trend.

Those three sketches combines with the SC weekly challenge that focused on using oversized fonts or elements on your layout to create this title page for my daughter's fifth grade album.  (Of course, I had to add my own twist by moving the strips to a diagonal, but the roots of the design are in those sketches.)


My title pages have generally focused on a single large picture and I really like the idea of using pictures from throughout the year on a title page instead.  The colorblock paper has been in my scrap pile for years and this was a perfect use.  The oversize font stickers are an old Memorykeepers Club gift from Creative Memories.  Most of the embellishments are from a MME Nostalgia prize pack I got from SC.  I added the banner stickers with words from a Basic Grey Picadilly sticker sheet and I was done.  It captures my daughter's personality and created a fun title page that reflects her year with no investment.  It doesn't get much better than that!

Let me know what design trends you're seeing.

2 comments:

  1. love you take on this sketch! thanks for playing along wit us at Boy's Rule!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So clever to use 3 sketches in one LO! Loved the final result!!! Thanks for aplying along with Boys Rule!

    ReplyDelete