Pages

Monday, September 28, 2015

I Do It For Me

Sometimes I think all my layouts start to look the same - I like patterned paper backgrounds, lots of colors and patterns and bits, layers and grids.   Some or all of those elements are in all of my projects.  So then I think I need to do something different - but I don't even know what that is.  And I end up with no layout or a layout that I don't like - I think because I tried too hard. 

This summer I have really struggled with inspiration and motivation.  I've spent a lot of time thinking about why and trying to get back on track  -- which leads me to why I scrap.  Sure the memorykeeping and story telling is great, but that's not why I scrap.  And I love it when people like my projects and I get compliments and recognition in online communities.  But mostly I scrap because the act of doing it makes me happy.

So not all my projects have to be works of art.  I would love to be on a design team someday, but every layout is not an audition.  I will get that opportunity when and if its meant to happen.  And the truth is my favorite layouts (and probably my best ones) are the ones that make me happy while I am creating.  So its ok if I stick with mixing colors and patterns, grids and layers -- in fact its perfect since I will find the joy in creating again.  And if they all look alike, that's just the way it is.  I guess you would call it "my style."

So here you go - a layout with a patterned paper background, lots of layers, little bits and pieces and it's a variation of a grid design.  And I love it.  I smiled while I made it and I smile when I look at it.  (Who knew I would end up loving those transparent bird die cuts?)

Design inspired by sketch at Studio Calico

Thanks for listening to me ramble on.  I'm off to play with paper.


3 comments: